We just re-designed our kids room. The old set had been up for a few years and had very little contrast. We wanted to create a new set that was a bit more dynamic and gave the room a fresh look. We also wanted to make the room feel a bit shorter. We found that with our last set design our tall trusses and drapes made the room look massive.
We removed everything and started from scratch for our new set. We lowered all of our pipes and replaced our silver drapes with black. We hung Mod Scenes (link to www.ModScenes.com) Crescent Moon Panels to create texture over the black backdrop. The panels are CNC cut coroplast that are connected with carriage bolts, wingnuts, and plastic connectors. We have used these in small groups but not as a wall at Journey and I am quite happy with how well they take light. In total, we used 100 of the panels for this set. We experimented while we were setting up and decided to randomly double up some of the panels. This created a pretty cool texture. We also alternated which of the inverted panels was in front giving another layer of depth. We used genie lifts to build our scenic on a pipe that we raised as we went, but it could have also been done just from the lift.
One of our biggest challenges in this room is lighting setup. Many of our LEDs are old and have various color issues. We found that we actually needed fewer lights as the panels catch light so well. We also used the issues to our advantage by placing the lights with issues symmetrically through out the set, so that the different colors look intentional.
Our total budget was $2500, which we came right under. The Mod Scene Panels cost us about $2300. We had another $150 in pizza, tape, and duvetyn.